Ok never done this before. had to set this up for a class so here we go.
Today I realized that I have too many books. Now I'm not really surprised by this as at one point I had so many books in my room that I had no place to sleep. But I have spent the last week sorting through boxes and boxes of books deciding which to keep and which to get rid of. I thought I was doing a pretty good job of culling things down when I realized that for me to sleep in my bed, have my computer, tv and stereo in my room as well as some where to put my clothes I will have to give up at least three quarters of the books I currently own. I hate that.
One time in a galaxy, a long time ago... I had so much junk that I moved from my apartment and took with me only one change of clothes and one book. I only did that once. There is no Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Books, they won't come and get you for abandoning them, I have the same problem and it has been partially solved by obtainnig eBooks and Audiobooks, one 500GB portable HDD is almost filled up with books after only 5 years, but at least it isn't clutter. I miss the smells, tactile, and visual pleasures of having over thirty bookcases literally packed with books.
ReplyDelete“Three Rules of Work: Out of clutter find simplicity; From discord find harmony; In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.” - Einstein
Any man who reads too much and uses his own brain too little falls into lazy habits of thinking” - Einstein
Reference
http://thinkexist.com/quotes/albert_einstein/
Albert Einstein quotes (German born American Physicist who developed the special and general theories of relativity. Nobel Prize for Physics in 1921. 1879-1955)
Hey Bontivia,
ReplyDeleteSo what are you going to do with all the books? A suggestion, donate them to your local public library, public housing project, shelter and or nursing home. Books are fantastic as a mini getaway and someone, somewhere can use the vacation.
Books are fantastic, they never go out of style and are easily recycled to other readers. Keep reading.
~ kim
I'd love to donate to the public library but the process is too problmatic. They don't do pickups and I am literally getting rid of thosands of books here. That's too many to bring to the library myhself. I want to give them away as opposed to trying to sell them, where they'll be appreciated but I'm not willing to rent a great big truck, load it up myself, drive it over to the library, unload it myself, give it to them so they can have a book sale as that is what they told me they do with donated books. So I donating to an organization that distributes to schools.
ReplyDelete