Wednesday, July 7, 2010

this week's comments

As can be inferred by my last posts I love read. And I read a lot. I really enjoy books that are character oriented and character driven and because of that I read a lot of romance novels. Now this is nothing against other types of books, I read Science Fiction and mysteries as well, I just prefer that they be more about the characters in the book rather than the space ship or the intricacies of who done it and why. Most romances are about the characters and their relationships so I find them easier to relate to and I need to connect with what I'm reading in order to really enjoy it. Having said all of that and as if my opinion really matters in the grand scheme of things. Here is a short list of wht I consider really good writers: David Weber, especially his Honor Harrington series; David Eddings, unfortunately now deceased, but is Belgariad and Tamult series and sequels are some of the best to be found in the fantasy field; Nora Roberts writing as herself or as J.D. Robb; Elizabeth Lowell ; Iris Johanson; Linda Howard; Kay Hooper; Jayne Ann Krentz aka Jayne Castle aka Amanda Quick; Christine Feehan; Sharon Sala aka Dinah McCall are all truly excellent writers and of course there are those older great writers like Anne McCaffrey, EE "Doc" Smith, Andre Norton, and Louis L'Amour. If you haven't read any of them which I highly doubt, give them a try you might like what you find.

1 comment:

  1. Read or listened to most of them, if you like a really interesting love story, and the ordeals of the Royal Navy, may I suggest Patrick O'Brian the Aubrey-Maturin series, circa 1800s in the Napoleonic wars, I think it covers love pretty well, especially from a "man's point of view"; on the other hand a very recent author Stephenie Meyer wrote a four volume series, The Twlight Saga, of love from the woman's point of view, with Vampires and Shape-shifters (Spoiler), a good mix of fantasy and romance, but most consider her a pretty silly love sick filly, with over exaggerated problems d'amour.

    ReplyDelete